Thursday, December 11, 2008

When I Ruled the World

Thanksgiving is obviously a time to be grateful. It is obviously a time to remember all we have. It is a wonderful time. I love it. I love trying to only think of things I’m grateful for and express gratitude often. This Thanksgiving was especially filled with gratitude.

I went to CA for my cousin’s wedding and my heart was so full of joy and gratitude for these two wonderful people who were ready to move forward together. The day was beautiful, the reception was beautiful, the bride was beautiful, the flowers were beautiful, the decorations were beautiful, the pictures were beautiful, everything was beautiful. But the most beautiful part to me followed the first dance with Shannon and Nick.

The second song started playing and both families gathered to the center of the floor to dance their hearts and souls out to “Vive la Vida.” They were all smiling grand smiles. They were all dancing around in one circle. They were all truly, blissfully happy for this one evening, for this one moment. They were in the moment. They were loving the moment.

I have loved this song by Coldplay for a long time and for more reasons than one. I think about this song practically everyday. However, it took on a new meaning in that one unified moment. They all shouted:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemies eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the King!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
Once you'd gone it was never
Never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People could not believe what I'd become
Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be King?

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter will call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

Here were two families that had experienced broken times. Here were two families that at one point “ruled the world.” Here were two families that were coming together to rule again. They could now rule together because of the complete unity formed that day.

Because their love and marriage and growth is based on Jesus Christ, the can feel one together. They have “come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ” (Ephesians 4: 13).

No comments: