Sunday, June 24, 2012

Just kidding...he's coming tomorrow.

So, our little guy just doesn't want to come. Two weeks ago I was in labor and had been at the hospital for 7 hours, when a nurse came in and told me that some test results came back and his lungs were still unusually underdeveloped so they were going to wait a bit before inducing him. Fine...."that's just fine" I thought, until they told me they weren't going to induce him for another 2 weeks!

welp, those two weeks are up and I'm going in tomorrow at 6am to officially be induced. Yes! I get to meet him tomorrow!

So, what have I been doing the last two weeks? Well, getting lots of things done and trying to finagle housing situations, and calling deadlines, and get the last of the baby stuff together. Besides all of that, Adam and I have been biding our time and hanging out around Pittsburgh. After all, it is summer time!

My parents were so kind to fly out to Pittsburgh two weeks ago. They planned on being there for his birth and to help us after with his surgery and recovery. However, they were already here when we got the news that we'd need to wait. So, we spent the week just hanging out with Mamma and Papa Shields. That turned out to be the greatest blessing because 1. we never get to just hang out with my parents 2. it made the week  go by so much faster.

Here are some pictures of our week-o-fun:

The giant 42 story Cathedral of Learning is filled with 'nationality classrooms' dedicated to the immigrants who helped settle Pittsburgh. This is Adam in the Japanese room.

 This is me in the Israel room

We also looked at other historic buildings/cathedrals


Of course while they were here we went out to eat at the most yummy burger places, breakfast places, italian places, etc. Mom and I got our nails done. Adam and Dad watched baseball. Mom and Dad went jogging in Frick Park. We watched movies and ate oreos. We swapped Netflix favorites. We showed them the hospitals, where we work, where Adam goes to school, etc. It was lots of fun.

I think my absolute favorite was going to the ZOO and Aquarium!



The most embarrassing/hilarious part was being pushed around the Zoo in their "wheel chair." I think mom, dad, and Adam were all trying to be so nice to me and were a little freaked out that the walking would put me into labor. It was priceless when they would wheel me up next to a toddler in a stroller to see the animals. the toddlers all stared....

This was one of the best Zoo experiences because every animal was out and active and close to the glass. We were even allowed to pet the stingrays.
We even waited our turn in line behind the school kids just to get a closer look at the stingrays. Mind you, I crawled through a 2ft tunnel to do it. 

And of course, how could any outing with Mom be complete without her talking her way into free food or a backstage pass or first class tickets? Today she was chatting with the aquarium trainer and somehow got us a private tour behind the glass to go play with the octopus! Sweet! He told us all about how they are the most intelligent creatures and know how to unscrew a jar and put together a Mr. Potato head. The octopus will literally go crazy if he isn't played with and intellectually stimulated a few times a day.

So we got to play with the octopus!


That night we finished our fun day by driving through Pittsburgh and visiting an overlook to give Mom and Dad a real view of where we live. Beautiful huh? And can't you just see why they used Pittsburgh to film the Dark Knight Rises from that skyline?




It was great to have them here even though their visit was completely different than we originally planned!

2 comments:

Lisa Weiler said...

I love your parents! That is so great that it worked out so well for them to just be there to hang out with. I can't believe the baby isn't here yet. Also, I'm super impressed you have had stamina and energy the week of your delivery to explore the city, of course its candace though so I'm not too surprised.

AHHHH tomorrow! You are a tropper my dear. Send pict text message asap!!

Lovess

Jenni & Stanton said...

Looks like you all had so much fun! Pittsburgh really is beautiful and sounds like a super fun place to explore! I can't wait for baby to finally come out TODAY! You are quite the woman Candace! Love you!