Saturday, October 6, 2012

both the Good and the Bad

So, I'll talk more about Brigham since he is just the greatest!
There have been some good things and some bad things develop in the last month or so that we've been out of the hospital and in DC. Mostly good things.

Good news is he has dimples! Love them. There seems to be a trend in my fam and extended fam. The first borns have a dimple or two.

Good news is we took him into the Godiva store and he was so smiley. I feel like this was the official test to see if he has Shields blood in him since we love chocolate.

Bad news is he already struggles with going to church :) Seriously though....I've never seen anything like it. He is normally very happy, but when we walk into the church building he screams for almost the whole 3 hours. Last week, I had to take him on a walk around the parking lot for 45 minutes before he calmed down enough to go back in the building. haha! It was kinda epic.  This is Adam so happy once Brigs finally fell asleep at church.

Good news is that he has amazing quad muscles. Not the best pic, but I think it shows his quads off alright. I've only ever known cute chubby babies and didn't realize they can develop such huge muscles.

Good news? Bad news? Brigham looks like this when he yawns. We didn't think it was that out of the ordinary to have this big of yawns, but everyone reacts to them. It always makes us chuckle.




Great news is that Brigham can take thin liquids! We've been waiting to redo a 'swallow study' for months since after birth he aspirated his food and has major reflux. I've called the radiology dept every weekday for 3 weeks and never got through to anyone in scheduling. So, when we were seeing the cardiologist I asked Adam if we could stop by radiology. Well we basically stormed in, told them we'd been waiting so long to repeat the swallow study, and told them we wanted it today. They were SO nice and accommodating since it was the end of the day and mult docs had to stay late for us. Those doctors are amazing. We were able to repeat the swallow study that day (which is quite the ordeal by itself). The best news is, he was cleared for thin liquids! YES! Basically, that means we don't need to add a Tbsp of rice cereal to every ounce of formula. It may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but it is huge to us. It also means he can eat frozen bm. I'm not going to lie, we felt so much parent pride in storming into radiology. ha.

Us in the x-ray room getting ready.
Brigham eating a normal, thin liquid for the first time. Yay for him learning how to eat correctly.




3 comments:

Amanda said...

He is seriously so cute!! I love his big smiles & dimples. And the yawn picture was so cute, it made me yawn too. Lol. I can't wait to see him in a few days!!! And I'm so glad he passed the swallow test. Good for him! But maybe since he's used to having rice cereal in his formula, he'll like it more once he's older. Blake HATES rice cereal & spits it out, but if we feed him other baby food, he swallows it. Silly boy! Lol

Unknown said...

AH! I love the yawn picture and the dimples :) So happy about these good news clips. And so funny about church

Stephanie said...

Hooray for thin liquids! He is so smiley!! And I can totally see the dimples :-) I'm so sorry about the church thing. William was the same way when he was a baby. I used to have to walk around in the parking lot all the time with him because he screamed so loud everyone could still hear it well inside the building. It will get better...