Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Galileo and Christina

Today I was reading a letter from Galileo to the Grand Duchess Christina in 1615, regarding his scientific evidence supporting the geocentric theory. At the time, it was 100% contrary to the church so he was persecuted for his radical ideas. As I was reading his letter, he said one thing that really stuck with me. He was talking about how “the intention of the Holy Ghost is to teach us how one goes to heaven, not how heaven goes.” I loved that thought. I have always tried to figure out trivial, specific, random questions that are not pertinent to gain salvation. That is when I need the reminder that the Holy Ghost will teach us how one goes to heaven, not necessarily the menial questions.

Then I thought about the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 84:45, which tells what the Holy Ghost is.

“For the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ.”

 I love this scripture because is shows it simply that the Holy Ghost is based on truth and teaching us truth and giving us truth so we can gain salvation. And that truth gives us light. And it is “given to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.”

That is so comforting to know that the Holy Ghost can give us light and enlighten me if I listen to him. I hope that I will always listen to him and have Galileo’s view. I know that the Holy Ghost is pure. I know that he guides us through this life, helps us have perspective, and live righteously to achieve salvation. 

2 comments:

Dan said...

I like your post about Galileo and think it's really interesting. Galileo's always been one of my favorite historical figures. I believe he was a man of principles. He stuck up for himself and his findings based on principle. In the end, it doesn't really matter at all where the sun is in relation to the earth. It doesn't matter for your Salvation, and it doesn't really matter for many other things either (unless your an astrophysicist or something similar). The sun rose even back in ancient times when most people didn't know what we now know about it, showing that having that knowledge isn't essential to life or to happiness. But, despite that Galileo stuck up for his beliefs. He refuse to back down from being persecuted for saying what he believed (and what was right). He took persecution and was eventually killed, but his belief stays.

Eric said...

Even though the Fullness of the Gospel was on the earth in Galileo's time, I believe Galileo was inspired of God. God loves to see his children use their intellect and reasoning and creativity. He loved seeing Galileo look through his telescopes and write his notes and ponder on the world both around and above him. God loved watching Shakespeare compose his sonnets and plays. God loved watching Fra Anjelico and Rubens and David make their masterful works of art. They were not members of the Church nor close to the Church's time (David excluded), but they were men who took their hands and minds and applied the God-given potential. This is what I admire about Galileo and the rest of them. We need to care for ourselves the same way and please our Heavenly Father through developing ourselves and talents.